Lester Piggott in hospital
LEGENDARY jockey Lester Piggott remained in intensive care today after suffering a recurrence of a heart problem.Newmarket Racecourses have confirmed the 71-year-old would not be well enough to go to an event in his honour on Saturday.
LEGENDARY jockey Lester Piggott remained in intensive care today after suffering a recurrence of a heart problem.
Newmarket Racecourses have confirmed the 71-year-old would not be well enough to go to an event in his honour on Saturday.
Bosses sent well-wishes to the 11-times champion rider who is in a Swiss hospital and said they would make an announcement today about the Lester Piggott Day after speaking to his family.
He was in intensive care yesterday morning, although his condition was understood to have stabilised and he was described as being conscious and coherent.
It is the recurrence of a heart problem that saw him spend five days on the West Suffolk Hospital's coronary care unit over Christmas after feeling unwell on his return from a trip to Hong Kong.
Members of his family, including wife Susan and daughter Maureen Haggas, are believed to have flown to Switzerland to be at his bedside.
- 1 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 2 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 3 Tributes paid to Ipswich man who could 'make magic happen'
- 4 Two teenagers charged after man injured in machete attack
- 5 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 6 85 school children under 4 suspended in Suffolk
- 7 Investigations ongoing into 'inter-gang disputes' in town
- 8 Search for missing man who planned 70-mile walk home still ongoing
- 9 New details of plans to convert Ipswich church into music venue revealed
- 10 'Really concerning' – Shock after machete attack at Ipswich sports centre
Alistair Haggis, spokesman for Newmarket Racecourses, said: “We have gone from the shock of hearing the news earlier and relief that he appears to be okay.
“He's Newmarket's most famous resident. He is a legend in his own lifetime. We all hope that he pulls through and that he makes a full and speedy recovery.”