Lifeboat in illegal immigrants drama
POLICE and immigration officials are today questioning 15 people after an early-morning drama off the Suffolk coast.A Suffolk lifeboat was called to the aid of a stricken yacht, and after it arrived at Shotley Marina, the 15 were held.
By Georgina James
POLICE and immigration officials are today questioning 15 people after an early-morning drama off the Suffolk coast.
A Suffolk lifeboat was called to the aid of a stricken yacht, and after it arrived at Shotley Marina, the 15 were held.
Five people have been arrested on suspicion of people-smuggling. Meanwhile, the other ten were being held by officials at Harwich on suspicion of being illegal immigrants.
The yacht got into difficulties about 12 miles off the coast of Aldeburgh and radioed for help at about 2.30am.
It is not known whether the crew of the yacht 'Pim' sent out a Mayday message or put a call in to the coastguard, but the Aldeburgh Lifeboat was launched to tow the boat in.
- 1 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 2 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 3 Revealed: The top serious crash hotspots in Ipswich
- 4 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 5 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 6 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 7 Cannabis dealer jailed after being caught with drugs in Range Rover
- 8 Did you stop for a pint in one of these Foxhall Road pubs?
- 9 Planning application for new Taco Bell in Ipswich expected 'imminently'
- 10 Huge response to plans for new Ipswich medical centre
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S STAR