Lifeboat in illegal immigrants drama
POLICE and immigration officials are today questioning 15 people after an early-morning drama off the Suffolk coast.A Suffolk lifeboat was called to the aid of a stricken yacht, and after it arrived at Shotley Marina, the 15 were held.
By Georgina James
POLICE and immigration officials are today questioning 15 people after an early-morning drama off the Suffolk coast.
A Suffolk lifeboat was called to the aid of a stricken yacht, and after it arrived at Shotley Marina, the 15 were held.
Five people have been arrested on suspicion of people-smuggling. Meanwhile, the other ten were being held by officials at Harwich on suspicion of being illegal immigrants.
You may also want to watch:
The yacht got into difficulties about 12 miles off the coast of Aldeburgh and radioed for help at about 2.30am.
It is not known whether the crew of the yacht 'Pim' sent out a Mayday message or put a call in to the coastguard, but the Aldeburgh Lifeboat was launched to tow the boat in.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 5 Kesgrave Kitchen praised by local MP after 'fantastic' transformation
- 6 Man to face trial over claims he sexually assaulted toddler in the street
- 7 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 8 Man accused of burgling GP surgeries and pharmacy appears in court
- 9 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 10 Stroke survivor cut off from family in lockdown returns home
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S STAR