Lightning strikes Ipswich home
IT COULD have been so much worse.Elayne Evans was completely unaware her attic was on fire after lightning hit an overflow pipe.It was only on hearing a huge bang, which cut off her electricity, that she and a neighbour decided to investigate a fuse box that was smelling.
IT COULD have been so much worse.
Elayne Evans was completely unaware her attic was on fire after lightning hit an overflow pipe.
It was only on hearing a huge bang, which cut off her electricity, that she and a neighbour decided to investigate a fuse box that was smelling.
Today Mrs Evans thanked her neighbours John and Rita Brennan for helping her discover the fire so quickly.
She said: "If my neighbours hadn't stayed to check things it would have been ages before I found the fire.
"I can't thank them enough for helping me. Both sets of neighbours down the road have been brilliant."
- 1 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 2 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 3 Family's gratitude after Christmas samaritan's £50 act of kindness
- 4 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 5 Police 'concerned' for missing 15-year-old who was last seen a week ago
- 6 Speed limit on Orwell Bridge reduced as Storm Barra hits region
- 7 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 8 Beautiful new bottomless brunches launch at Ipswich bar
- 9 When will my bins be collected this Christmas?
- 10 Former camera shop Jessops cited for three flats in Ipswich
Today Mrs Evans and her partner David Green of Highfield Approach, Ipswich described their home as "jinxed" after it was burgled and hit by lightening in the space of three months.
Mrs Evans, 50, was at home on the telephone when the house was hit by lightening at about 6.15pm yesterday.
She said: "I heard a big bang and the phone went dead and then the power went off. I checked the fuse box and that was smelling so I got a neighbour to help me check because David was not at home.
"We then went to check the tellies upstairs and heard noises and opened the loft hatch and discovered the fire.
"We caught it quite early and got everyone out and the neighbours got the garden hose up there and then the fire brigade came and took over."
Crews from Prince's Street and Colchester Road tackled the blaze which was under control within an hour.
Mrs Evans added: "All we have now is cold water as it hit the water tank. "The tank was plastic and so it's melted and so have the pipes.
"Downstairs the electricity is on, the fire brigade did that before they left."
The couple's 23-year-old son, Philip, has learning disabilities and was forced to spend the night on the sofa in case water leaked through into his bedroom.
He could also not watch television upstairs and Mr Green said he was struggling with the break in his routine.
He added: "We have got to get him back to normal and settled.
"Last night he didn't really understand why he couldn't watch television and he got angry with us."
Mrs Evans said only now has the shock begun to sink in.
She was also at the home when a burglar targeted the house earlier this year and stole a handbag and wallet.
Following that incident the couple contemplated leaving their home of ten years but today they are planning to stay and have already contacted their insurance company hoping to fix last night's damage.