Lions are doing it for funds
LIONS are ready to make a splash as the call goes out for water loving competitors to take part in an annual swimming gala for disabled people.The fun packed event, organised by the region's Lions Clubs and supported by The Evening Star, will be held at Crown Pools in Ipswich on March 16 from 7pm to 9.
LIONS are ready to make a splash as the call goes out for water loving competitors to take part in an annual swimming gala for disabled people.
The fun packed event, organised by the region's Lions Clubs and supported by The Evening Star, will be held at Crown Pools in Ipswich on March 16 from 7pm to 9.30pm.
Bill Murton, president of the Lions Club of Hadleigh, said he wanted to see as many people as possible enjoying this year's event, regardless of their disability.
"Last year the atmosphere was just incredible. Everybody was shouting and happy. One guy came up to me and said 'I have just seen my daughter swim right across the pool and I didn't even know she could swim'".
Lions from Woodbridge, Stowmarket, Ipswich and Felixstowe will be joining the Hadleigh club to staff the event and members of the Ipswich Life Saving Club will be on hand to ensure everyone has fun in safety.
Last year nearly 40 disabled people took part in the event, which is now in its 5th year, including youngsters from The Thomas Wolsey school, Beacon Hill and Belstead Special School.
- 1 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 2 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 3 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 4 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 5 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 6 Parking woes for shop parade hit by 'continous roadworks'
- 7 Driver taken to hospital after car crashes into parked vehicle
- 8 Ipswich salon to offer free gent's haircut at Suffolk Show
- 9 See inside stunning £1.15m home a stone's throw away from Christchurch Park
- 10 Fuel spillage causes delays on busy Ipswich road after truck breaks down
The swimming gala takes over Crown Pools and draws competitors from as far afield as Newmarket.
Fruit and Vegetable wholesaler JJ Wilson of Elm Street in Ipswich will be handing out energy-packed bananas and the Ipswich and Norwich Co-operative Society will be providing refreshments.
"It's all about people coming along and enjoying themselves, but there is competitive edge that adds to the fun," added Mr Murton, warning that attending parents were also encouraged to dive in.
Competitors can turn up on the night but it is helpful if as many as possible can express their interest in advance.
Call Bill Murton on 01473 747132 or write to him at 27 Sproughton Road, Ipswich IP1 5AA for a booking form.