Little Waitrose in Ipswich town centre closed for two weeks for maintenance work
- Credit: Archant
The Little Waitrose supermarket in Ipswich town centre has closed for two weeks for maintenance work.
The store, which opened in the ground floor of the Corn Exchange in February 2012, closed on Sunday and is set to reopen on Tuesday, January 27.
Over recent months the floor in the store has been warped and a spokeswoman for the company said the closure was needed to carry out basic maintenance.
She said: “Waitrose Ipswich will briefly close while it completes necessary maintenance work.
“We are sorry for any inconvenience caused but we will be working as quickly as possible to ensure the minimal amount of disruption to our customers and local residents.”
The company is a tenant of the Corn Exchange which is owned by Ipswich Borough Council.
A spokesman for the borough said there were no underlying structural problems with the building and the closure should not affect other parts of the building which includes the Ipswich Film Theatre.
- 1 Man 'punched and slashed' in serious assault in car park at Ipswich B&M
- 2 Ellie uses 4 tonne truck to make impressive entrance at school prom
- 3 Tent, kitchen units and bedding dumped in 'unsightly' fly-tipping
- 4 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 5 Ipswich man, 27, arrested after stabbing in Bury St Edmunds car park
- 6 Burger van owner's anger after thieves steal food from trailer in Ipswich
- 7 Man order to sign sex offenders' registers for possessing indecent images
- 8 Travellers remain at Ipswich park after arrival last week
- 9 'We're going to push back!' - Ashton's message to Norwich City
- 10 Five popular eateries that have opened in Ipswich so far this year
It is understood that many of the chiller cabinets in the store are likely to be replaced and there may be other improvements to the store layout as part of the work.
The store was the first Waitrose to open in the town – it was followed nine months later by the opening of the full-size Waitrose and John Lewis at Home complex at Futura Park, near Ransome’s Europark.
The repairs to the Little Waitrose come as work on another convenience store in the town centre steps up a gear with engineers moving into the former Croydon’s store in Tavern Street.
That is being turned into a new Tesco Express store and is due to be open to the public during the summer.