Long delays for rail passengers
COMMUTERS getting back to work after the Christmas and New Year break are today facing chaos on the trains this morning.
COMMUTERS getting back to work after the Christmas and New Year break faced early morning chaos on the trains.
Early services between Suffolk and London Liverpool Street were delayed by up to 60 minutes due to over-running engineering work at Bethnal Green.
Some early trains were unable to run between Stratford and London Liverpool Street and stopped at the east London station.
Network Rail engineers spent all Christmas and New Year installing new overhead cables on a three-mile section between Bethnal Green and Forest Gate.
It was due to have been completed by 4am today, but druing an early-morning inspection it was found that one section of wire at Bethnal Green was hanging too low, and a further work was need to repair it.
The work was finally completed at about 7.30am and services started running into Liverpool Street again.
- 1 Man stabbed in back and sides in Ipswich attack
- 2 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 3 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 4 Two arrests made following stabbing
- 5 'We're lucky to get her back' - Drone finds missing Pinky after 17 days
- 6 'Incredibly proud': 11-year-old saves classmate choking on chicken nugget
- 7 Alleyway near Ipswich town centre remains sealed off after serious assault
- 8 Omid Djalili cracks Ipswich joke at Queen's Platinum Jubilee show
- 9 Serving police officer appears in court over alleged misconduct offence
- 10 'Fantastic' new café at Needham Lake beauty spot opens its doors
During the rest of the rush hour trains were delayed by between 10 and 20 minutes.
By 11am all main line services were running according to timetables - and there were no further problems anticipated later today.