Major roadworks at Heath Road, Foxhall Road and Bixley Road roundabout in Ipswich start today
Drivers are being warned they could face delays as roadworks begin at one of Ipswich’s busiest junctions this morning.
Improvement work will start at the roundabout linking Heath Road, Foxhall Road and Bixley Road this morning.
The 12-week project, to improve traffic flow and facilities for cyclists and pedestrians, begins today and will last until mid April.
Temporary traffic lights will be in place at each approach to the roundabout from February 5 until April 14.
These measures are being implemented to ease traffic flow while a short stretch of Foxhall Road on the opposite side of the roundabout is closed.
The small section of Foxhall Road will be shut completely from the roundabout up to its junction of Darnford Gardens from February 5 until April 20.
This project forms part of Suffolk County Council’s £5million road improvement scheme.
You may also want to watch:
It should finish completely by April 20, by which time the Heath Road and Bixley Road roundabout approaches will have been widened to create an additional lane.
Two toucan crossings will have been upgraded with new control technology, new LED street lighting will be implemented and four traffic islands will be constructed.
- 1 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 2 Burglars crept into Ipswich home while occupant was inside
- 3 Delays expected at A14 Copdock Interchange
- 4 Fire marshals to patrol Waterfront block 24/7 and balconies could be removed
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 Man in 40s rescued from beneath the Orwell Bridge
- 7 Ipswich street closure could be made permanent under consultation plans
- 8 Orwell Bridge safety concerns raised after 'worrying incidents'
- 9 Stage for Ed Sheeran's Portman Road performance being built
- 10 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
Minor adjustments are also being made to nearby footpaths.
Elsewhere in the town, overnight works are due to begin in Wherstead Road from tomorrow.
The Nacton Road roadworks outside The Golden Hind are still under way, as are the Cadent Gas works in Norwich Road, which are due to finish in early February.
Concerns were raised by motorists earlier this month after it emerged the four major roadworks projects mentioned above would be overlapping.