Majorettes spin on after 25 years
THEY were marching during the Falklands War, strutting as the Berlin Wall came down and twirling as Tony Blair came to power.Now the oldest majorette troupe in Ipswich is preparing to celebrate its milestone 25th birthday.
THEY were marching during the Falklands War, strutting as the Berlin Wall came down and twirling as Tony Blair came to power.
Now the oldest majorette troupe in Ipswich is preparing to celebrate its milestone 25th birthday.
The Ipswich Silver Spinners Majorette Troupe, formed back in 1982, will toast the landmark at a special reunion event next month and is appealing for former members to come along.
Mandy Fenn, one of the organisers, said she is hoping to see lots of familiar faces.
“Lots of the old members are still in the area but many have got married and you lose touch, but we're hoping there will good turnout and we can have a good old chinwag.
“We will be getting together, showing pictures and having a general chat and catch up about old times.
- 1 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 2 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 3 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 4 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 5 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 7 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 8 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 9 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 10 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
“It is going to be a light-hearted social gathering.”
Mrs Fenn said the pastime is currently proving very popular with the troupe having around 30 members although in the past this figure has reached 100.
Over the past two-and-a-half decades the troupe has competed in regional and national competitions, with both solo performers and groups winning them hundreds of trophies and medals.
The Silver Spinners are regular performers at many carnivals throughout Suffolk, including Trimley, Felixstowe, Hadleigh, Stowmarket and Ipswich.
The group meets weekly at the Castle Hill Community Centre on Mondays from 6.30 until 8.30pm and at Downing School, Ipswich on Tuesdays from 6pm until 8pm.
The reunion is due to be held at Claydon Community Centre on Friday September 14 at 7.30pm and anyone interested in going along to the event should contact Mandy Fenn on 01473 830666 or Sue Jackson on 01473 686438.
The Silver Spinners were due to perform at the Felixstowe Carnival today
The troop is also looking for a local company to sponsor them and more details are available from Mandy or Sue.
Is a group you belong to celebrating a special birthday? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com
Saturday 25th August 2007 -display at Stow Lodge, Ipswich
Friday 14th September 2007 - Troupe reunion for 25th Anniversary
Sunday 28th October 2007 - Suffolk region UKFM competitions at Copleston High School
Sunday 11th November 2007 - UKFM Remembrance day tribute at Nicholas Breakspeare School St. Albans