Man charged with attempted rape
AN Ipswich man was due to appear in court today charged with a sex attack on a 49-year-old woman.Jamie Garnham, 30, of Shakespeare Road, was scheduled to appear before South East Suffolk magistrates charged with attempted rape.
AN Ipswich man has appeared in court charged with a sex attack on a 49-year-old woman.
Jamie Garnham, 30, of Shakespeare Road, appeared before South East Suffolk magistrates charged with attempted rape.
Garnham, who appeared close to tears in the dock, spoke only to confirm his name, age and address.
Michael Crimp, prosecuting, gave magistrates a brief outline of the alleged incident.
You may also want to watch:
He reminded them attempted rape was a charge that could only be heard at Crown Court and urged them to remand Garnham in custody.
Graham Skippen, defending, made no application for bail on behalf of his client.
- 1 Car crashes into cafe closing Ipswich road
- 2 Ipswich man charged with dangerous driving following Audi crash in Norwich Road
- 3 Look inside beautiful £1.2million home with a pool near Felixstowe
- 4 Person taken to hospital after collision in Sainsbury's car park in Ipswich
- 5 Car hits front of Ipswich convenience store
- 6 New special school planned for former BT site
- 7 Women facing prison after admitting robbery in Ipswich
- 8 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 9 Rolling road block put in place on A14 after concerns for safety
- 10 New home developments boost Ipswich's 'connected town' ambition
Garnham was remanded in custody and was ordered to make a first appearance at Ipswich Crown Court on 9 July.
The alleged attack happened some time between 11.10pm on Friday night and 3am on Saturday morning in Maidenhall Green, Ipswich.
Police officers carried out a thorough search of the area close to the bus stop and surrounding bushes on Saturday morning.
The victim claimed she was walking along the road when she was approached by a man who attempted to rape her. But the attacker fled after she managed to fight him off.