Man charged with attempted rape
AN Ipswich man was due to appear in court today charged with a sex attack on a 49-year-old woman.Jamie Garnham, 30, of Shakespeare Road, was scheduled to appear before South East Suffolk magistrates charged with attempted rape.
AN Ipswich man has appeared in court charged with a sex attack on a 49-year-old woman.
Jamie Garnham, 30, of Shakespeare Road, appeared before South East Suffolk magistrates charged with attempted rape.
Garnham, who appeared close to tears in the dock, spoke only to confirm his name, age and address.
Michael Crimp, prosecuting, gave magistrates a brief outline of the alleged incident.
He reminded them attempted rape was a charge that could only be heard at Crown Court and urged them to remand Garnham in custody.
Graham Skippen, defending, made no application for bail on behalf of his client.
- 1 Beautiful new bottomless brunches launch at Ipswich bar
- 2 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 3 Family's gratitude after Christmas samaritan's £50 act of kindness
- 4 Man arrested after Ipswich train station incident released
- 5 'Lovely to be acknowledged' - Ipswich craft shop pleased with bounce back
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 Ipswich Station closed as man arrested for possessing a firearm
- 8 'Really lovely and easy to talk to' - Tributes to passionate beekeeper Alan
- 9 Cash agreed for £1.9m school expansion project
- 10 Court to decide how much swindler should repay customers
Garnham was remanded in custody and was ordered to make a first appearance at Ipswich Crown Court on 9 July.
The alleged attack happened some time between 11.10pm on Friday night and 3am on Saturday morning in Maidenhall Green, Ipswich.
Police officers carried out a thorough search of the area close to the bus stop and surrounding bushes on Saturday morning.
The victim claimed she was walking along the road when she was approached by a man who attempted to rape her. But the attacker fled after she managed to fight him off.