Man in his late 70s reported to have been punched and kicked in the head during Ipswich shopping centre attack
- Credit: Archant
A 40-year-old was being held by police last night after a man in his late 70s was allegedly punched and kicked in the head at Tower Ramparts in Ipswich.
The victim was originally said to have sustained serious injuries and taken to Heath Road hospital, but was later released. Police arrested the 40-year-old man, who is from Ipswich, on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm after he was detained by security staff at the shopping centre.
The incident occurred at the centre’s entrance at Electric House at around 7.30am yesterday before Tower Ramparts opened.
The man who was hurt had gone in to McColls newsagents to buy a newspaper and had been standing outside when the assault took place.
Although other people were at the bus station, it was alleged the victim was subjected to an attack during which he was punched to the ground before being kicked in the head.
You may also want to watch:
The incident is said to have ended when security guards from inside the centre intervened. The injured man was taken to the management suite where he was initially treated by staff until paramedics arrived.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary, said yesterday: “Officers were called by a member of the public to Crown Street around 7.45am.
- 1 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 2 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 3 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
- 4 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 5 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 6 Arrest warrants issued for men facing sheep charges
- 7 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 8 Ipswich reports England's highest rise in Covid infection rate
- 9 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 10 Budding musician caught with drugs in buttocks is spared prison
“An ambulance attended and took the elderly victim to Ipswich Hospital with serious head injuries.
“A 40-year-old man from Ipswich was arrested at the scene on suspicion of assault GBH and is being held in Martlesham Police Investigation Centre for questioning. “
A spokesman for Tower Ramparts Shopping Centre said: “This incident happened just outside the centre prior to opening and our security staff reacted quickly and detained one man and gave first aid to an elderly man who had been attacked.
“They also called the police who arrested the man we had detained and we also called paramedics to the injured man who received treatment on site before being taken to hospital. We are doing everything we can to assist the police with their investigation.”
A member of staff at McColls declined to comment.
Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to call on 101 and speak with Ipswich CID quoting IC/15/1078 from March 19.