Man jailed for attack on mum

IPSWICH: A young father-of-two is today in prison after he admitted viciously banging his mother’s head against the floor and threatening her with a knife.

In a terrifying attack, Kyle Kidd-Stanton subjected his mother to around 45 minutes of beatings – punching her, throwing her across rooms and strangling her.

The 23-year-old, of Kingston Road, Ipswich, was sentenced at Ipswich Crown Court on Thursday after admitting assault, criminal damage and breaching a suspended sentence.

Standing with his head bowed in the dock, the father-of-two heard the gruesome details of his actions read out in court.

After a period battling alcohol problems, Kidd-Stanton went to meet his mother at a pub in the town on March 27. After returning to her home, the pair argued.

Prosecutor Michael Crimp said the defendant had thrown his mother across the kitchen, against the units.

She tried to get out of the house, but Kidd-Stanton blocked her way.

Most Read

He threw her on to the sofa and strangled her before punching her in the face.

She broke free and ran upstairs, but he followed, punching a hole in her bedroom door before throwing her off her bed and across the room.

Mr Crimp described how Kidd-Stanton had grabbed his mother’s head and hit it against the floor “several times”.

At one point during the attack, Kidd-Stanton appeared from the kitchen with a knife with a six-inch blade.

As she backed away from her son, Mrs Kidd-Stanton noticed he was bleeding.

He then smeared his blood on his mother’s cheek.

Mr Crimp said Kidd-Stanton’s mother “thought she would not get out alive” and had been “extremely shaken up”.

The victim suffered cuts and severe bruising, grazes on her head, a swollen lip and tenderness to her neck and chest.

Mitigating, Charles Myatt said his client felt “remorse and shame” for what he had done.

He said Kidd-Stanton’s children are of an age where they will start to understand more and added Kidd-Stanton does not want them growing up thinking their father is a violent man.

Passing sentence, Recorder John Akast said: “This was a dreadful attack which occurred when you were drunk, out of your head really.”

He condemned Kidd-Stanton to two-and-a-half years in prison for the assault charge, 14 days for breaching his suspended sentence and a further eight weeks for the criminal damage.

A restraining order was imposed preventing Kidd-Stanton from having any contact with his mother for two years and for a further two years he is permitted contact with her only by letter.

n Is enough done to tackle domestic violence? Write to Your Letters, The Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter