Man who sparked armed response penalised
A HUSBAND who claimed a gang had attempted to abduct his wife at gunpoint has been given a fixed penalty notice for wasting police time.Darren Palmer, 37, called officer to his home in Knight Road, Rendlesham on February 23, claiming a group of four men had tried to kidnap his wife Nina Palmer.
A HUSBAND who claimed a gang had attempted to abduct his wife at gunpoint has been given a fixed penalty notice for wasting police time.
Darren Palmer, 37, called officers to his home in Knight Road, Rendlesham on February 23, claiming a group of four men had tried to kidnap his wife Nina Palmer.
Police sent an armed response to the area and later arrested four men in The Street, Eyke.
However, it is now believed that the incident was exaggerated by Mr Palmer and police have fined him £80 for wasting their time.
Officers believe the incident was simply a dispute over money and no firearm was actually involved.
The alleged abduction attempt left villagers in Rendlesham and Eyke stunned last month as armed officers swooped on the address in Knight Road.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 3 Teen taken to hospital with serious injuries after Ipswich crash
- 4 Cocaine dealers involved in 'Bash' drugs line in Suffolk are jailed
- 5 'This is all I've got' - Woman fighting to keep home where mum died
- 6 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 7 Five forgotten Ipswich music venues and what they are now
- 8 Search for new Post Office in east Ipswich
- 9 Felixstowe man to star on small screen with converted Mini Cooper
- 10 'Real vote of confidence' - New Travelodge starts building work by stadium
Speaking at the time builder Stuart Miller, 46, said he had seen two men go to the door of the house and said the husband had asked him to call police.
He said: “When I was walking to the house I could see two men shouting through the letterbox. I've got no idea what it was about.”
His colleague Darren Woodward, 40, said Mr Palmer had called for help and there appeared to be a dispute over money.
Mr and Mrs Palmer are believed to have moved into their £400,000 five-bedroom home about four months ago.
They are previously believed to have lived in Southend.
Mr Palmer would not talk about the incident at the time and said it was “a personal matter”.
Two men arrested on suspicion of attempted abduction answered police bail yesterday.
A 39-year-old man from Brighton and a 41-year-old man from Leigh-on-Sea, Essex were both given fixed penalty notices for public order offences.
Two other men, a 27-year-old from Brighton and a 28-year-old form Haywards Heath, are yet to answer bail.
What do you think should happen to people who waste police time? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send us an e-mail to email@example.com.