Plans for Martlesham Heath Aldi store approved - find out when it will open here
- Credit: Archant
Popular plans for an Aldi in Martlesham which gathered hundreds of letters of public support have been given the go-ahead – with the store set to open in Easter 2019.
Aldi earmarked a portion of land opposite the bowling alley in Gloster Road, and submitted plans to build a 1,500 square metre store.Formal objections were submitted by Martlesham Parish Council and Woodbridge Town Council, but despite those objections planners received more than 886 letters of support for the scheme.
Alistair Close, planning consultant for Aldi said the budget supermarket chain was “overwhelmed by the level of support” which was “almost unprecedented for a supermarket planning application”.
Suffolk Coastal District Council’s planning committee unanimously approved the development at Monday’s meeting.
Planning committee chairman Debbie McCallum said: “The public want it and that’s what we are here to do – to serve our public.”
Maureen Jones on the committee said that the store would help people on low incomes.
You may also want to watch:
Some concerns were raised around the traffic impact on Gloster Road, but Aldi said it did not envision the scheme having much of an impact on the roads.
Around 50 jobs are set to be created – the majority of which will be available locally for applications.
- 1 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 2 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 5 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 6 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 9 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 10 Ipswich woman's drug dealing confiscation hearing adjourned
Following the approval, Mr Close said construction will begin in the next six months, with a target opening for Easter 2019.
A spokeswoman from the retailer added: “We are delighted to have received unanimous approval for a new Aldi store in Martlesham Heath.
“Over recent years we have been overwhelmed by the local support for Aldi and would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to let us know their views, they really did make a difference.
“We hope to progress with the store construction quickly, so we can create new jobs and welcome local people into the store as soon as possible.”
Deliveries for the store have been stipulated as taking place outside of opening hours to reduce disruption, while Mrs McCallum has asked Aldi to hold open events at Kesgrave and Woodbridge high schools to allow local students to apply for part time jobs.