Martlesham: Assault accused ‘took pictures of unconscious victim’ at Music on the Green festival

The alleged incident happend at Music on the Green

The alleged incident happend at Music on the Green - Credit: Ashley Pickering

A man who punched a fellow festival-goer in the face, causing his jaw to break in two places, was seen taking pictures of the injured man with a mobile phone as he lay unconscious on the ground, it has been alleged.

A witness described hearing Luke Boggis’s jaw make a horrible noise like “someone dropping a water melon” as he was allegedly punched by Michael Wheeler at the Music on the Green music festival in Martlesham in July last year, Ipswich Crown Court was told.

Emma Nash, prosecuting, said Mr Boggis had gone to the event with friends and by the end of the evening described himself as being “seven out of 10 drunk”.

She said a witness described hearing two men shouting at each other and seeing one of them punch the other on the jaw causing him to fall to the ground.

“He thought he was unconscious before he hit the floor,” said Miss Nash. She said another witness told police she heard Wheeler say: “That’s what you get for spitting at me” and saw him taking pictures of Mr Boggis while he was on the ground. “She heard a clicking noise,” said Miss Nash.

Wheeler, 26, of Chandler Court, Kesgrave has denied inflicting grievous bodily harm on Mr Boggis on July 13 last year.

Miss Nash said that when a police officer spoke to Wheeler shortly after the alleged attack he gave a false name and ran off.

Most Read

Police contacted Wheeler and arranged to meet him and when an officer looked at his mobile phone there were no pictures if Mr Boggis. “He had plenty of time to delete them,” said Miss Nash.

Wheeler told police he had asked Mr Boggis if he had spat at him and claimed that Mr Boggis had put his arm against his throat and hit him first.

Wheeler admitted hitting Mr Boggis once causing him to fall to the ground.

He denied taking pictures of Mr Boggis and claimed he was using the light from his phone to check how badly injured he was.

The trial continues today