Medal awarded before the race!
BUNGLING race officials have slipped up by already sending one Felixstowe runner a medal for tomorrow's Great North Run.Marion Calver, who runs for Felixstowe Runners was gearing up for the race with one last jog on Friday night when she returned home to find a medal sitting on her doormat.
By Nick Richards
MEDDLING race officials have slipped up by already sending one Felixstowe runner a medal for tomorrow's Great North Run.
Marion Calver, who runs for Felixstowe Runners was gearing up for the race with one last jog on Friday night when she returned home to find a medal sitting on her doormat.
Marion, said she was very surprised to find the medal at her home in Faulkeners Way, Trimley St Mary, particularly as the race guidelines state that only those finishing the race were entitled to one.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "I went for a run at 6pm last night and when I returned I saw the medal laying on the floor behind the door.
"I looked at it and saw the date on it but couldn't work out where it had come from. It had just been pushed through the door with no note or anything.
- 1 Police cordon off section of Ipswich residential street
- 2 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 3 Teenagers arrested after 17-year-old boy stabbed in Ipswich
- 4 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 5 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 6 School completes £15.5million revamp with demolition of former building
- 7 Anger at parking fines for butcher, barber and carpet fitter shoppers
- 8 How pub was transformed into community hub
- 9 Teenage boy denies knife attack near Ipswich supermarket
- 10 Teenager arrested after man suffers cut to neck on Ipswich estate
"I checked the date of the race to see if I had missed it, but then I realised there must have been some kind of mix-up – it certainly is the easiest way I've ever got one of these medals!"
Marion has run the race ten times in the past but and has always received her medal in the conventional way – after she has actually run it.
She will be taking part in the race with fellow Felixstowe Runners Andy Good, Roger Causon and Jacky Causon.
The 13-mile Great North Run actually takes place tomorrow at 10.40am and it is expected that 47,000 people will take part – although they will now only need to hand out 46,999 medals.