Memories of Hare and Hounds pub in Ipswich from 1974
- Credit: Archant
These pictures from The Hare and Hounds Pub in Norwich Road will evoke fond memories for many from 1974.
The Hare and Hounds: It was a pub that was once branded one of the toughest in Britain.
But it had attracted a crowd of regular customers, as these happy pictures from 1974 show.
The venue, built in the 1800s, stood proudly on Norwich Road and was at one point two separate pubs: The Hare and Hounds and The Grapes.
It was a popular pre and post-match venue for football fans, and often found its reputation tarnished with reports of hooliganism and violence.
In 2004, it featured in the Sky One series Britain’s Toughest Pubs, appearing alongside a string of rough, dirty and dangerous pubs.
The pub shut its doors for the final time in July 2011. The building was purchased by Coe’s and is now home to a wedding shop.
- 1 'This is all I've got' - Woman fighting to keep home where mum died
- 2 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 3 Teen taken to hospital with serious injuries after Ipswich crash
- 4 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 5 Cocaine dealers involved in 'Bash' drugs line in Suffolk are jailed
- 6 Five forgotten Ipswich music venues and what they are now
- 7 Woman bit dog owner during dispute over not picking up mess
- 8 Felixstowe man to star on small screen with converted Mini Cooper
- 9 'From one family business to another' - Cattermole's changes hands
- 10 Revealed: The Indian restaurants in Ipswich with five-star hygiene ratings
To name someone in these photographs, or to share your memories with us, email email@example.com