Men in court after Shotley drama
FOUR men have appeared in court charged with smuggling illegal immigrants through Shotley Marina.The two Dutchmen, a Frenchman and an Asian man stood before South East Suffolk Magistrates in Ipswich charged with facilitating the entry of illegal entrants on July 12.
FOUR men have appeared in court charged with smuggling illegal immigrants through Shotley Marina.
The two Dutchmen, a Frenchman and an Asian man stood before South East Suffolk Magistrates in Ipswich charged with facilitating the entry of illegal entrants on July 12.
Devinderjit Singh, 41, of Prospect Place, Gravesend, Kent, said through an interpreter that he did not wish to enter a plea. He was released on conditional bail until September 12.
Hussain Abid, 31, of Rue Maurice Bureau, Paris pleaded not guilty. Johan Hoekstra, 25, of Walstraat and Ludwig Kwarten, 26, of The Hague, Holland, did not enter pleas.
You may also want to watch:
Abid, Hoekstra and Kwarten were remanded in custody until September 12 when magistrates are expected to commit the defendants to Ipswich Crown Court for trial.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 3 'My life is on hold' – Ipswich man's plea for life-changing surgery
- 4 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 5 Did you enjoy a night out at Splitz Bar in 2002?
- 6 'Kind and caring' friend of the football community dies
- 7 Historic Waterfront church to be new Ipswich music venue
- 8 New Ipswich fine food store is back - and smoked eels prove a hit
- 9 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 10 Risk of thundery showers this evening, say forecasters