Mercedes driver accused of 10 speeding offences, including eight on Orwell Bridge
A Mercedes driver alleged to have been caught speeding 10 times in six weeks – including eight occasions on the Orwell Bridge – is to appear in court.
Yilmaz Kalayci faces 10 offences of speeding, two of which occurred on the same day, and a further offence of allowing a vehicle to wait in Arnold Street, Lowestoft, when it was prohibited from doing so.
The 42-year-old is alleged to have committed the illegal waiting offence on July 26.
Kalayci’s speeding allegations date back to August 24 last year when he is accused of travelling at 69mph over the Orwell Bridge in the 60mph speed limit.
Kalayci, of Arnold Street, Lowestoft, is then said to have travelled over the bridge at 73mph two days later.
The third Orwell Bridge offence was on the Felixstowe-bound carriageway two days after that.
Kalayci’s Mercedes C220 was said to have been clocked going 90mph by average speed cameras on that occasion.
- 1 Man found dead as police and fire service called to Ipswich home
- 2 Emergency road closure near Ipswich Hospital due to 'defect' in carriageway
- 3 How it all unfolded in first-ever Super Heat at Foxhall
- 4 Train services in Suffolk cancelled after horses escape onto tracks
- 5 'Quietly confident' - Felixstowe Indian restaurant goes alcohol-free
- 6 Stalls galore as Saints Street Market returns to Ipswich
- 7 Drivers urged to remove valuables from cars after nine thefts in a week
- 8 'Eyesore' Suffolk seafront hotel for sale for £2million
- 9 Men accused of string of Suffolk burglaries appear in court
- 10 The largest science centre in East Anglia opens in Claydon
The fourth offence occurred on another average speed camera stretch.
This time it was on the A12 between East Bergholt and Stratford St Mary on August 31.
The Mercedes was allegedly travelling at 80mph in what is a 70mph limit.
The fifth allegation concerns the Orwell Bridge on September 8.
Kalayci’s vehicle was said to have going at 78 mph.
On September 13, the car is said to have been travelling at 78mph as it went along the Copdock-bound carriageway of the bridge.
Twelve days later Kalayci’s Mercedes was said to have been caught for a sixth time in just over a month when it was clocked travelling at 77mph going along the Felixstowe-bound stretch of the Orwell Bridge.
On the same day, September 25, at 6.27pm Kalayci’s car was allegedly caught doing 39mph in a 30mph zone on the A12 at Wrentham.
Another alleged offence happened on the Felixstowe-bound carriageway of the Orwell Bridge on September 30 when the Mercedes was said to have been travelling at 68mph.
The tenth offence occurred on the Copdock-bound side of the Orwell Bridge on October 2.
At the time the vehicle was allegedly clocked at 74mph.
Kalayci must now appear before South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court in Ipswich on March 24 where he case will be heard.