More searches of body sites

THESE pictures show the efforts police are still going to today in their bid to bring the killer or killers of five women in Suffolk to justice.Fingertip searches were taking place on the Old Felixstowe Road at Levington this morning near to where the bodies of Annette Nicholls, 29, and Paula Clennell, 24, were found on December 12.

THESE pictures show the efforts police are still going to today in their bid to bring the killer or killers of five women in Suffolk to justice.

Fingertip searches were taking place on the Old Felixstowe Road at Levington this morning near to where the bodies of Annette Nicholls, 29, and Paula Clennell, 24, were found on December 12.

As the quintuple killing inquiry reaches the one month mark today police are still continuing their investigations on a massive scale:

Nearly 300 police officers and staff are continuing to probe the alleged murders;

One hundred and fifty-nine people deployed from out of the county are still working on the inquiry;

The force is still spending thousands of pounds on hospitality on specialist officers from as far afield as Durham;

Most Read

House-to-house and forensic investigations are ongoing.

The scenes where the naked bodies of Miss Nicholls, Miss Clennell and Tania Nicol, 19, Gemma Adams, 25, and Anneli Alderton, 24, were found in Levington, Copdock, Hintlesham and Nacton have all now reopened but police are continuing to search for forensic clues into their deaths.

Officers are also still awaiting results of tests carried out on clothing found in various locations across the county.

Police know that Miss Alderton was asphyxiated and Miss Clennell died from compression to the neck, however, post mortem examinations into the deaths of the other women proved inconclusive and further tests needed to be carried out.

Police would not reveal if they now know how the women had died and a spokeswoman for the force said police would not be releasing details of causes of death because a man had been charged with the murders of all five women and legal proceedings were active.

The force is still waiting to learn how much Home Office money will be used to assist with the investigation.

A spokeswoman for Suffolk police said the matter would be discussed at a Police Authority meeting at the end of this month.

Steve Wright, 48 of London Road, Ipswich has been charged with the murders of all five women.

He is due to appear at Ipswich Crown Court on May 1 to enter a plea.

At that hearing his legal team is likely to discuss the possibility of moving any future trial outside Ipswich, although it is not clear if the case will be heard at the Central Criminal Court as many expect.

Speaking in this week's Law Gazette magazine, Wright's solicitor Paul Osler said “a busy caseload” may mean London can not hold the trial and it may have to be accommodated elsewhere.

Tom Stephens, 37, of Jubilee Close, Trimley St Martin remains on police bail.

He was also arrested on suspicion of the murders of all five women.

The Evening Star and Ipswich Borough Council have launched the Somebody's Daughter campaign to remember the victims of the red light district killings.

The proceeds will be used to help vulnerable young people in Ipswich.

To make a donation visit www.eveningstar.co.uk and click on the Somebody's Daughter link on the homepage, pay in person at Ipswich Borough Council's customer service centre in the Town Hall, call 01473 433777 or send a cheque, made payable to Somebody's Daughter Memorial Fund, to PO Box 772, Ipswich Borough Council, Grafton House, 15-17 Russell Road, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1 2DE

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter