More unsung heroes to be honoured
FORMER mayor Richard Risebrow's big idea during his year as the town's first citizen looks set to become a regular feature of Ipswich life.New mayor Penny Breakwell is to continue making awards to the town's Unsung Heroes.
FORMER mayor Richard Risebrow's big idea during his year as the town's first citizen looks set to become a regular feature of Ipswich life.
New mayor Penny Breakwell is to continue making awards to the town's Unsung Heroes.
Mr Risebrow introduced the scheme when he became first citizen last May as a way of honouring those who have made a contribution to the town's life – but aren't often in the spotlight.
He said: "I am delighted that the new mayor is carrying on the scheme. It is great to give the winners the recognition they deserve."
You may also want to watch:
Among those who received his awards last year were Edna Turner, conductor of the Co-op Senior Choir, Jill Higgleton from the Woodcraft Folk and Reg Driver from the Royal British Legion who organises the Remembrance Parade in Ipswich every year.
On Tuesday, just before he handed over the chain, Mr Risebrow invited the unsung heroes to join him at a special thank you reception at the Corn Exchange.
- 1 Air ambulance lands near Ipswich shops after medical emergency
- 2 Ipswich crack cocaine and heroin dealer jailed
- 3 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 4 Ipswich tops rankings for Suffolk's Japanese knotweed infestations
- 5 Closest Covid testing hub to Ipswich town centre forced to close
- 6 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 7 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 8 Person in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Joy as Shotley Pier finally set to reopen after being derelict for over 30 years
When it was first launched, Mr Risebrow said he hoped the awards scheme would become well-established in Ipswich.
He was delighted Mrs Breakwell planned to continue with it – the aim is to surprise unsung heroes when they are least expecting it!