More unsung heroes to be honoured
FORMER mayor Richard Risebrow's big idea during his year as the town's first citizen looks set to become a regular feature of Ipswich life.New mayor Penny Breakwell is to continue making awards to the town's Unsung Heroes.
FORMER mayor Richard Risebrow's big idea during his year as the town's first citizen looks set to become a regular feature of Ipswich life.
New mayor Penny Breakwell is to continue making awards to the town's Unsung Heroes.
Mr Risebrow introduced the scheme when he became first citizen last May as a way of honouring those who have made a contribution to the town's life – but aren't often in the spotlight.
He said: "I am delighted that the new mayor is carrying on the scheme. It is great to give the winners the recognition they deserve."
You may also want to watch:
Among those who received his awards last year were Edna Turner, conductor of the Co-op Senior Choir, Jill Higgleton from the Woodcraft Folk and Reg Driver from the Royal British Legion who organises the Remembrance Parade in Ipswich every year.
On Tuesday, just before he handed over the chain, Mr Risebrow invited the unsung heroes to join him at a special thank you reception at the Corn Exchange.
- 1 Ipswich father caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 2 Women facing prison after admitting robbery in Ipswich
- 3 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 4 Ipswich man charged with dangerous driving following Audi crash in Norwich Road
- 5 Car crashes into cafe closing Ipswich road
- 6 Rolling road block put in place on A14 after concerns for safety
- 7 Will Ipswich betting shop be turned into fish and chip shop?
- 8 Ipswich traffic measure 'on its way out' as petition launched
- 9 Men sentenced for 'vicious' attack in Ipswich churchyard
- 10 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
When it was first launched, Mr Risebrow said he hoped the awards scheme would become well-established in Ipswich.
He was delighted Mrs Breakwell planned to continue with it – the aim is to surprise unsung heroes when they are least expecting it!