Murdered - Karen Hales
KAREN HALES – a 21-year-old mother died after being stabbed and then set on fire.She was found by her father with her 18-month old daughter Emily wandering around in the flames – she almost certainly witnessed her mother's violent death.
KAREN HALES – a 21-year-old mother died after being stabbed and then set on fire.
She was found by her father with her 18-month old daughter Emily wandering around in the flames – she almost certainly witnessed her mother's violent death.
The attack happened at her Lavenham Road home on November 21, 1993.
Her brutal murder led to a huge police hunt with more than 1,400 lines of inquiry being followed up.
As with Doris Shelley, see below, the murder was featured on Crimewatch but no-one has ever been convicted for the crime.
Karen's family launched a scathing attack on Suffolk police who they claim botched up the investigation.
- 1 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 2 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 3 Rudolph starts his run - when is he coming to your Ipswich street?
- 4 Plans submitted to turn special measures care home into hotel
- 5 Ipswich School named among the best in the region
- 6 Illegal immigrant caught running cannabis factory is jailed
- 7 Four charged over alleged samurai sword attack
- 8 Suspected drink-driver charged after three-car collision in Ipswich
- 9 Gang jailed for 'horrific' torture attack on man in Ipswich home
- 10 Ipswich pubs offer cash reward to see spiking conviction
But the man in charge of the case, Detective Superintendent John Saunders, vowed that he would never rest until Karen's killer was caught.
As information coming in slowed up, the investigation was scaled down but the case still remains open.