Unfortunately, flooding can occur within homes when there is a spell of bad weather including when the Met Office issues a yellow, amber or red warning for heavy rain.

Flooding can also happen when there is heavy snow during colder months of the year.

Burst pipes, damaged guttering and roofing can sometimes cause flooding inside a property too.

If you have been notified of a flood warning, this is how you can prepare as well as advice to follow when your house begins to flood.

How to prepare for potential flooding in your home

The UK government website suggests the following guidance if your area has a flood warning (when flooding is expected) or severe flood warning (when there’s a danger to life):

  • turn off your gas, electricity and water supplies, if it’s safe to do so - do not touch an electrical switch if you’re standing in water
  • move your family, vehicles, pets and important items to safety, for example upstairs or to higher ground
  • if you have them, use flood protection products, for example, flood barriers or air brick covers
  • follow advice from your local council or the emergency services - you may be asked to evacuate

Five Ways to Stay Warm Without Central Heating

You can check for current flood warnings or alerts in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland here.

What to do if your home floods

Flood Guidance says the most important thing to do is to make sure that you and your family remain safe.

“Either move to [the] upper parts of your home and call for assistance, or leave the property by a safe, dry route.

“If anyone remains in the flooded property and the mains electricity supply was not turned off before the flood, do not touch any electrical appliances until you are told it is safe to do so and stay out of floodwater.”

You should call 999 if there is any threat to life.

Ipswich Star: Has your house flooded in the past due to bad weather?Has your house flooded in the past due to bad weather? (Image: Getty)

Once everyone is safe, Flood Guidance recommends following these steps during a flood at home:

Notify your insurance company that the property has been flooded

"Although you cannot yet identify the damage caused, you can establish whether they will provide alternative accommodation and emergency funds and the next steps in your claim."

If you need alternative accommodation, you could consider:

  • staying with family, friends or neighbours (cheaper but not a long-term solution)
  • renting another property in the area
  • staying in a hotel or guesthouse
  • applying for housing to your local authority, if you fall into a priority housing need

Recommended reading:

Notify family, close friends and your employer

This will ensure that your family or close friends know where you are and that you are safe so they don’t worry.

Do not return to your home until you are told it is safe to do so.