Neighbour tackles fire with garden hose
A NEIGHBOUR today told how he tried to tackle a house fire with a garden hose.The 51-year-old man, who asked not to be named, spotted the fire in a house in Queen's Square shortly after 2am this morning.
A NEIGHBOUR today told how he tried to tackle a house fire with a garden hose.
The 51-year-old man, who asked not to be named, spotted the fire in a house in Queen's Square shortly after 2am this morning.
He said: “I got up and saw the blaze coming from the window and the front room had flames coming out of it.
“I went in round the back and the back door was open and I called out but there was no one there.
You may also want to watch:
“The fire brigade were quick to come and I grabbed my hose because I felt so desperate to do something. It was a silly thing to do because the gas main could have exploded.
“My efforts were futile really and I just went round the back to make sure no one was there.”
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 8 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 9 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 10 Specialist engineers working to fix Ipswich flooding hotspot
The house is thought to be lived in by a 36-year-old woman and her five children, although all of them, apart from a 17-year-old girl, are thought to be away on holiday.
The teenager is believed to have gone out with friends some time before the fire was noticed.
Three fire engines from Princes Street and Colchester Road were called to the blaze which was under control by 2.50am.
Geoff Pyke, Ipswich district manager for Suffolk fire service, said the fire had completely destroyed what appeared to be a much-loved family home.
He said the blaze had started in the seat of a sofa but he could not confirm whether a cigarette had started the blaze.
Mr Pyke said the fire was a reminder why people needed smoke alarms and a fire plan as smoke of that nature was highly toxic.
Police were called to the blaze but said the circumstances were not suspicious.
A fire crew tackled a car fire in Downham Boulevard about 5.15am and used one hose reel to put out the blaze.
In a separate incident, firefighters from Felixstowe went to a car fire on Victoria Street at about 4.30pm yesterday and then again to another car fire on Kirton Hall Road in Kirton at about 4.45pm, but both fires were under control by about 5pm.
Then at about 6.20pm firefighters from Ipswich were called to an undergrowth fire on Maryon Road near the corner of Ravenswood Avenue in Ipswich.
Did you witness the house fire? Contact The Evening Star newsdesk on 01473 324789 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.