New arts concept at Suffolk school
PHOTOGRAPHY and performance are being combined at a Felixstowe school to create a different kind of arts experience.Deben High, a specialist arts school, has had a rethink over the way it presents its school productions and next week tries out the first of a new-style event.
PHOTOGRAPHY and performance are being combined at a Felixstowe school to create a different kind of arts experience.
Deben High, a specialist arts school, has had a rethink over the way it presents its school productions and next week tries out the first of a new-style event.
Year 11 to 13 students, many of whom specialise in arts subjects, will be taking part in three evenings which comprise a photography exhibition and a performance of the play Red Sky by award-winning playwright Bryony Lavery.
The aim is to produce a high quality event combining different elements of the performance disciplines in an abstract and fresh vision of the National Theatre Connections play text.
You may also want to watch:
The play focuses on three archaeologists who, while unearthing the artefacts of the ancient tomb beneath them, uncover a wealth of history while addressing complex emotional problems in their own recent past.
A combination of contemporary dance, physical theatre and original music ensures the pace is lively, energetic and original.
- 1 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 2 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 3 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 4 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 5 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 Man admits exposing himself to women in park near Felixstowe
- 8 High winds close Ipswich festival event temporarily
- 9 Ed Sheeran announces Christmas show supporting young Suffolk musicians
- 10 Anger at 'death trap' road in Pinewood
The event will be on Wednesday March 5, Thursday March 6 and Friday March 7 at 7.30pm.
Tickets - which include refreshments, admission to the Red Sky photography exhibition as well as a seat for the performance - are £6 for adults and £4 for concessions and can be bought by ringing 01394 282602.
Other students at the school in Garrison Lane are also being encouraged to exercise and demonstrate the breadth of their artistic talent.
Year sevens take part in a weekly drama and dance club through which they organise evening showcases to perform to invited friends and family.
The Year eight to ten students will be organising a programme of performance for the summer term which will incorporate opportunities for play writing, composition and choreography as well as acting, singing and dancing.