New leads uncovered in Ipswich mugging
POLICE have new leads in the hunt for people who attacked a man with a hockey stick.They are now following up information received from members of the public who contacted them after an appeal for help in finding those responsible for attacking the man in a busy Ipswich street.
By Jo Macdonald
POLICE have new leads in the hunt for people who attacked a man with a hockey stick.
They are now following up information received from members of the public who contacted them after an appeal for help in finding those responsible for attacking the man in a busy Ipswich street.
The 38-year-old was hit from behind with the stick as he walked along Norwich Road near to Granville Street at about 7.45pm on December 28.
Four men were involved in the attack and one grabbed the victim's wallet and removed cash before throwing it back at him and again hitting him round the head.
He escaped from his attackers to find help and was later taken to Ipswich Hospital to be treated for a cut head.
- 1 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 2 Swimming pool at primary school open again after two years
- 3 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 4 Baby porpoise washes up at Suffolk beach
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 6 Lane on A14 reopens after severe delays on Orwell Bridge
- 7 7 walks in Suffolk with a stunning view
- 8 Road closed as emergency services attend two-vehicle crash
- 9 Caribbean trailer to open soon in town centre
- 10 Matchday Live: Needham Market v Ipswich Town team news and updates
One of the group of attackers was described as black, in his mid-30s, about 5ft 10ins tall, of medium build with short hair.
One of his accomplices was also black, of the same age, with thin shoulder-length dreadlocks.
There is no description of the final two members of the group other than that they were black.
Since the initial appeal for witnesses to the attack police received several calls from members of the public and they are being followed up in an effort to trace the four men who viciously attacked the 38-year-old.
Detectives would still like to hear from anyone else who may have information regarding the mugging, however, and these people are asked to contact Det Con Derek Riley at Ipswich CID on 01473 383133 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.