New mayor so proud to be first citizen of town he loves
FELIXSTOWE: New mayor Jon Garfield cannot wait to step into his new role as first citizen of the adopted town he loves.
Town councillor Mr Garfield, 77, will tonight become the new mayor of Felixstowe at the annual ceremony at the Town Hall, taking over from Angel Goodwin.
Midlands-born Mr Garfield, who spent most of his working life as an engineer and ended it as a convenience store owner, is excited about the year ahead.
“I am really looking forward to it,” he said.
“We have had a little taste as deputy mayor and mayoress and now we want to do our very best to represent Felixstowe.
“I don’t think there should be ‘politics’ in local politics – what’s good for Felixstowe is good for me. It will be an important year on several issues with a new Government coming in.
“We could see a complete change on the Local Development Framework housing issue.
- 1 See inside £1.65m Ipswich home with swimming pool and games room
- 2 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 3 Ipswich girl with cyst on brain struggling to get diagnosis
- 4 7 things around Ipswich which are among the best in the country
- 5 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 6 Notcutts submit detailed plans for 14 homes on the edge of Ipswich
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 See inside stunning £1.15m home a stone's throw away from Christchurch Park
- 9 New 99-room Ipswich Travelodge expected to open next year
- 10 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
“I believe it should be needs-driven and we should not be involved in speculative building, only providing homes in places they are actually needed.”
Mr Garfield will have his wife Jan, 67, also a town councillor, alongside him as mayoress.
The couple, of Rogers Close, Walton, moved to the resort in 2002 to be near family in Ipswich – they have two children and four grandchildren.
“I love Felixstowe and I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else – and I wish I had found it years ago,” he said. “I love the sea and try to walk the seafront every day, and to have such wonderful countryside, too, on your doorstep is a bonus.”
Doreen Savage will take up the post of deputy mayor.
n What do you think the new mayor of Felixstowe should concentrate on this year? Write to Your Letters, The Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org