New transport themed play area to open on Super Saturday in Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
A brand new play area for children in Ipswich is set to be opened on Saturday July 4 as coronavirus restrictions are lifted.
The Dumbarton Road Recreation Ground play area in Rushmere was completed in March by Ipswich Borough Council but wasn’t allowed to open during lockdown.
The inclusive play area, for children aged two to 12 years old, has a theme of ‘Ipswich and Transportation’.
It features a suspension bridge across a river – representing the Orwell Bridge – as well as a car, bike and train.
Councillor Phil Smart said: “All of our play areas are now designed around inclusive play.
You may also want to watch:
“Before there might have been just a set of swings, but we now look at providing equipment where groups of children can enjoy playing on them at once and interact.
“We also make sure all equipment is usable for children of all ability levels.”
- 1 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 2 Man left with three broken ribs after assault by group of men in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Ipswich man wanted for theft and fraud offences
- 4 Boss blames furlough scheme for hiring woes
- 5 'Very traumatic' – Catalytic converter thieves threaten family
- 6 Woman thought partner was going to kill her during row, court hears
- 7 Ipswich man admits downloading indecent images of children
- 8 Ipswich has lowest Covid-19 rate in England, new figures show
- 9 Ipswich newsagents has licence revoked over sales of super-strength lager
- 10 Injured cyclist 'stable' in hospital after Ipswich road collision
The new playground has graphics to encourage imaginative play as well as swings, seesaw and springers.
Mr Smart added: “We do want people to know that we won’t have an army of staff ready with hand sanitiser at the ready to wipe down equipment and while we want them to enjoy the park, is still important to follow the government coronavirus guidance.”
The Dumbarton Road site comes as part of council works to update all of the play areas in Ipswich, including Christchurch Park, Alexandra Park and Maple Park.
Across the town there are 96 playgrounds with an excess of 800 pieces of equipment and seven outdoor fitness areas – three outdoor gyms and four trim trails.