No action being taken over bricks

NO action will be taken against a man and two youths arrested in connection with bricks being hurled at cars travelling along the A14.Three men aged 12, 16, and 22 were arrested in November last year after a number of vehicles were damaged.

NO action will be taken against a man and two youths arrested in connection with bricks being hurled at cars travelling along the A14.

Three men aged 12, 16, and 22 were arrested in November last year after a number of vehicles were damaged.

They were arrested following two incidents within the space of ten minutes at the Whitehouse interchange of the A14, near Ipswich, on November 14 and similar attacks on November 5.

A spokeswoman for Suffolk police said all three have had their bail cancelled and no further action will be taken due to insufficient evidence.

She said: “However work continues between the police and its partners to address the problems identified in the specified area of the A14 to prevent/deter further offences.”

The first of the incidents on November 14 was reported by a lorry driver happened at 7.25pm that evening.

Most Read

A brick was thrown from a bridge over the road and the impact smashed the driver's cab windscreen but he escaped uninjured.

Less than ten minutes later, police were called after another motorist struck by an object while travelling in the same direction along the A14 at Sproughton.

The windscreen of this vehicle was mashed but the driver was also uninjured.

Similar brick attacks occurred on Monday November 5.

A white Ford Transit van being driven towards Stowmarket on the A14 in Ipswich near the Landmark building was struck by an object causing a small dent in the nearside door.

A silver Subaru Impreza travelling along the A14 at Sproughton was also struck by an object, causing damage to the bonnet, bumper and vent around 15 minutes later.

Police say they will be carrying out work in a bid to prevent repeat incidents in the future.

“There haven't been any instances reported in that area since November last year which is one good thing.

“We think that has been through work with schools and youngsters in the general area trying to inform them of the dangers of this type of incident.

“There are also crime reduction plans which have been put forward to do with the environmental issues up there including cutting back some of the hedge row to give better visibility.

“We are also looking at the bridge to see if there's anything we can do there in terms of fencing.”

In May police swooped on the West Meadows travellers' site in Bury Road on the outskirts of Ipswich following a series of incidents on the A14.

Several arrests were made during the operation, which was targeted those responsible for dropping objects from and over a bridge and firing objects on to the carriageway.

A number of people were cautioned as a result of the arrests.