No charges for Stephens

A MAN arrested on suspicion of murdering five sex workers in Ipswich has been released without charge.Tom Stephens, the first man arrested in the red-light killings investigation, is no longer being investigated in connection with the inquiry, Suffolk police said.

A MAN arrested on suspicion of murdering five sex workers in Ipswich has been released without charge, it was revealed today.

Tom Stephens, the first man arrested in the red-light killings investigation, is no longer being investigated in connection with the inquiry, Suffolk police said.

The 38-year-old from Jubilee Close, Trimley St Martin, was questioned in connection with the deaths of Tania Nicol, 19, Gemma Adams, 25, Paula Clennell, 24, Anneli Alderton 24, and Annette Nicholls, 29, after their bodies were found in locations on the outskirts of Ipswich in December.

A Suffolk police spokeswoman said today: “Suffolk police can confirm that a 38-year-old man arrested in connection with the death of five women in late 2006 has now had his bail cancelled.

“He faces no further action in connection with this inquiry.”

Stephens was informed of the decision yesterday.

Most Read

Stephens, a former employee at Martlesham Tesco, was arrested after a raid on his home by officers investigating the deaths of the women on December 19 last year. He was held for four days before being released on bail.

Steve Wright, 49, of London Road, Ipswich, was arrested the day after Stephens and has since been charged with the murder of all five women.

He is being held at London's high security Belmarsh Prison.

The investigation into the deaths of the five prostitutes turned into Suffolk's largest ever murder investigation.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter