Norwich star's brother jailed
A BROTHER of Norwich City striker Chris Martin is starting a 15 month prison sentence today after viciously attacking a rugby player.Gerald Martin, 22, of Station Road in Beccles, was sentenced at Ipswich Crown Court yesterday to 15 months in jail.
A BROTHER of Norwich City striker Chris Martin is starting a 15 month prison sentence today after viciously attacking a rugby player.
Gerald Martin, 22, of Station Road in Beccles, was sentenced at Ipswich Crown Court yesterday to 15 months in jail.
Judge David Goodin said the attack, which left Daniel Rix with two black eyes and a cut to his cheek, was extremely violent.
Following his trial at the court last month a jury had taken less than an hour to find Martin guilty of assaulting 21 stone lorry driver Mr Rix, as he walked home from the Ingate pub in Beccles during the summer.
You may also want to watch:
Judge Goodin said yesterday: “You knocked a man down from behind. You repeatedly kicked to the head area quite viciously and caused his injuries. This is your first experience of custody and it will have negative effects on your personal life.”
The judge said Martin had believed that his father had been insulted, or inconvenienced, but warned him against vigilantism in the future.
- 1 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 2 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 3 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 4 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
- 5 Ipswich reports England's highest rise in Covid infection rate
- 6 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 7 Arrest warrants issued for men facing sheep charges
- 8 Budding musician caught with drugs in buttocks is spared prison
- 9 Anger as 'three to four large skips' of fly-tipped rubbish blocks road
- 10 MoD warns about late-night Apache training