Nostalgia: Looking back at the end of an era
WE’VE hit the new millennium in the latest instalment of our chronological look through the Star’s picture archives.
Here we are remembering the year 2000 and hope that these pictures spark some happy memories.
From next week we’ll be going back in time again to 1963 and publishing a slice of life from that time.
Among our latest crop of pictures, see gallery above right, we have a Westbourne School reunion, a sponsored abseil at Ipswich Hospital, and Ipswich YMCA Rugby Club 75th anniversary celebration.
Rachel Sloane is pictured with members of the 13th and 26th Ipswich Guide companies in 2000 while Bertie Bassett was the star guest at the Felixstowe in Flower. There is a photo of 1st Ipswich Cubs doing a sponsored abseil at Ipswich Hospital; and another from the first birthday party at the children’s hospice as well as an end of appeal celebration at Ransomes Social Club.
In 200, Ipswich YMCA Rugby Club celebrated their 75th anniversary, Ipswich Railway Modellers’ Association held an exhibition and Felixstowe’s mayor joined the sponsored walk by Felixstowe area Guides along the prom and former pupils from Westbourne School held a reunion at the Westgate Ward Social Club.
Were you a part of any of these landmark celebrations? Share your memories with our readers.
- 1 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 2 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 3 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 4 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 5 Man taken to hospital after being stabbed in chest and arms
- 6 'I can’t explain how much it hurt' - mum who lost two children leads bereavement service
- 7 'Definitely worth it' - Late night shoppers turn out in Ipswich
- 8 8 things to do with friends and family in Suffolk this weekend
- 9 Kesgrave GP bookings start online after making appointments proves hard
- 10 County lines dealer jailed for six years for drug offences in Ipswich
Meanwhile, Star reader Sue Scotchmore, of Rushmere Road, Ipswich, has written in about a picture we published from 1995.
She writes: “Thank you for printing this picture, it brought back many happy memories and quite a few people have commented.
“The nurse wearing the hat is me, then Sister Sue Scotchmore. It was taken in 1995. The “powers that be” decided all nurses would stop wearing hats. There was no discussion. It is not a health and safety issue. I objected because I was proud to wear a hat and because I know the patients appreciated it.
“Shortly after this I stopped working as ward sister (now ward matron) and am now a staff nurse. The others were nurses on the ward. Left to right: Simone who works in a GP practice, Helen who works at the hospital, Norma retired and Evlene retired back home to St Kitts.”
If you have any memories you wish to share with Star readers, drop us a line to firstname.lastname@example.org. To buy a copy of one of these photos, select the myphotos24 link above left.