OAP's warning after blanket fire

A BRAMFORD pensioner today warned others to be wary of using electric blankets after fire destroyed her bed and damaged her bedroom. Pearl Page, of Leggatt Drive, said she wanted people to be aware of the possible dangers of leaving electric blankets unattended.

A BRAMFORD pensioner today warned others to be wary of using electric blankets after fire destroyed her bed and damaged her bedroom.

Pearl Page, of Leggatt Drive, said she wanted people to be aware of the possible dangers of leaving electric blankets unattended.

She said: “The blanket had been on since 10.20pm and it was about 11pm when it happened. I was ready for bed getting some food for my cat when I heard a big bang.

“I could smell smoke and when I opened the door to my bedroom there were three foot of flames leaping up from the bed.”

Quick-thinking Mrs Page unplugged the blanket and threw a feather duvet over the bed stifling flames.

She said: “I knew I couldn't throw water over it. I shut the door and called 999. I was quite frightening and it was a big shock.”

Most Read

Firefighters put out the fire at 11.30pm on Saturday.

The former Evening Star personnel assistant said she stayed the night with friends after the fire left her room blackened and smoke-logged.

She added: “It destroyed my bed and pillows. I had a new mattress delivered on Friday but I only slept one night on it.

“I think the thermostat may have been faulty but you don't sit a watch an electric blanket. It could have been much worse but I just hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.”

At 4.32am yesterday fire crews were called to two commercial wheelie bins on fire in Gaye Street.

At 1am a crew was called to Bobbits Lane, off Stoke Park Drive, to a car fire. The blaze is being treated by police as suspicious.

At 12.24am a crew, also from Princes Street, was called to a car fire in Ancaster Road.

On Saturday arsonists set light to a small area of gorse in Broomfield off Eagle Way, Martlesham Heath.

Firefighters were called to the blaze shortly before 12.30pm.

Earlier in the day the fire service put out a washing machine that caught light in Falmouth Close, Kesgrave, shortly before 7.50am.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter