OAPs evacuated after mystery leak
AN Ipswich resident today told how his elderly neighbours were evacuated from their home after a mystery leak occurred.Emergency services were alerted to the incident in Wicklow Road, Whitehouse, to deal with unknown fumes escaping from the property.
AN Ipswich resident today told how his elderly neighbours were evacuated from their home after a mystery leak occurred.
Emergency services were alerted to the incident in Wicklow Road, Whitehouse, to deal with unknown fumes escaping from the property.
Paramedics took the pensioners to Ipswich Hospital after they appeared to be gagging on the fumes.
Tests later proved that there had not been a gas leak or a carbon monoxide leak but the reason for the illness of the pensioners is still unconfirmed.
You may also want to watch:
Ron Williams, who lives in a flat below, was having his breakfast when the male pensioner who also lives in council-run properties called at the door around 8am yesterday.
He said: “He appeared to be gagging and coughing and asked me if I was having problems with my gas supply or was cooking anything.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 4 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 5 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 6 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 9 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
- 10 Felixstowe's mayor offers reassurance following lorry park death arrests
“I could not smell anything at that point so was unaware of the problems but told him it was nothing to do with me.
“Within half an hour there were firefighters, council officers and people from Transco here which was quite reassuring.
“The fire brigade told me that the couple had been having headaches and feeling nauseous for ten days before they could smell the fumes.
“Council officers took my boiler apart to check it but everything was O.K.”
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue said: “Ipswich Borough Council contacted us and we sent two fire engines to the scene. Firefighters reported a smell which 'got them at the back of their throats' and ventilated the properties to make the area safe for other residents.
“However because there was not much we could do we left the incident in the hands of the council officers and staff from Transco who also attended. We left the scene at 9.15am.”
An Ipswich Borough Council spokesman said: “We immediately told the residents to leave the building when we received the call.
“Our officers are now investigating the incident.
“We service our gas appliances every year but anyone who lives in one of our properties and have concerns about them should contact us on 01473 432771.”