Officer hurt after police BMW involved in accident in Norwich Road, Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
A police officer was taken to hospital this afternoon after his marked BMW was in a collision while on the way to help colleagues who arrested four suspected drug dealers.
The accident occurred in Norwich Road, Ipswich, near to Kitchener Road, just after 2pm.
The police car collided with a VW.
The two officers in the BMW had been called to assist their colleagues who had stopped a car at traffic lights at the junction of Valley Road and Henley Road shortly beforehand.
Karen Willie, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary confirmed two females and two males were detained following the stop. Wraps of Class A drugs were also seized.
Mrs Willie said: “A 17-year-old girl and an 18-year-old woman, both from Ipswich, and two 18-year-old men from Colchester were all arrested on in suspicion of being involved in conspiracy to supply a controlled drug.
“All four have been taken to the Martlesham Police Investigation Centre for questioning.”
- 1 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 2 Take a look inside 15th Century farmhouse near Ipswich up for sale
- 3 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 4 A12 partially reopens after crash near Copdock Interchange
- 5 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
- 6 Lorry overturns on A14 roundabout in Felixstowe
- 7 BrewDog, The Botanist and other reasons to be positive about Ipswich town centre
- 8 5 roadworks in Suffolk for motorists to avoid this week
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The county's criminals locked up in the last week
- 10 Tattingstone 'suitcase murder': 'Never too late' say police on 55th anniversary
As the police BMW was on its way to the scene it collided with the VW, causing Norwich Road to be blocked.
The male driver of the police car sustained a wrist injury and was taken to hospital. His male colleague was said to be uninjured.
The female driver of the VW was believed to have been treated at the scene for minor injuries.
Norwich Road was closed for a time, but re-opened shortly before 4pm.
The incident caused tailbacks of traffic both travelling towards, and out of, town.
Any witnesses to the collision are asked to telephone Suffolk Constabulary on 101.
Police are currently running a special operation in Ipswich, codenamed Woven, to crackdown on drug-dealing related crime, and anti-social behaviour.
However yesterday’s stop in Valley Road is believed to be part of the constabulary’s normal day-to-day operations.
Last week police said Operation Woven had led to more than 40 arrests in a month.
The crackdown is connected to groups of individuals known to each other.
Officers have also executed warrants or searches at around 30 addresses.
They have also issued closure orders on at least six properties, completed over 20 stop/strip searches of individuals, and have several Criminal Behaviour Order applications awaiting court dates.