Old man in hospital after flat fire

AN elderly man has been taken to hospital after a fire broke out in his Colchester home.

AN elderly man has been taken to hospital after a fire broke out in his Colchester home.

He was suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation following the blaze in his ground floor flat on Maidenburg Street at about 7.55pm last night.

Although firefighters initially thought people were trapped inside the flat everyone, including the man, had managed to escape.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter