One man dead and another in hospital after bungalow blaze in Fuchsia Lane, Ipswich

Fire in Fuchsia Lane, Ipswich

Fire in Fuchsia Lane, Ipswich

A man aged in his 80s who was rescued from a bungalow fire in the early hours of the morning has died in hospital.

Fire in Fuchsia Lane, Ipswich

Fire in Fuchsia Lane, Ipswich

Emergency services were called to the property in Fuchsia Lane, Ipswich, at around 1.15am.

Two men were rescued from the property and treated at the scene before being taken to Ipswich Hospital.

One man was in cardiac arrest and his heart was restarted at the scene thanks to the efforts of fire and ambulance crews. He died in hospital this morning.

The other men, aged in his 60s, has since been transferred to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford and remains in a serious condition.

Deputy chief fire officer for Suffolk, Mark Sanderson, said the brigade was alerted to the blaze by a 999 call from a member of the public who said they could see fire and smoke billowing from the bungalow.

Three fire crews from Princes Street in Ipswich and one from Ipswich East were sent to the property.

Most Read

“When crews arrived they found flames issuing from a bedroom window from the outside,” Mr Sanderson said.

“They forced entry into the house and carried out a search and within house they found two male casualties.

“They carried out resuscitation on one of the casualties for half an hour with the help of the ambulance service.”

Mr Sanderson said both men suffered burns and smoke inhalation.

The fire is not thought to be suspicious, but a full investigation will be carried out this morning to determine the cause.

Using two hose reel jets, firefighters brought the blaze under control by just after 3am.

“The crews did a great job and they did everything they possibly could have to commence operation as quickly as they could,” Mr Sanderson added. “It was a really courageous effort to rescue the individuals and commence medical work, I’m really proud of them.”

The single-storey bungalow has been “severely damaged” in the blaze and will be not be occupiable until significant restoration work has taken place, Mr Sanderson said.

The East of England Ambulance Service sent an ambulance officer, three ambulance crews and the Hazardous Area Response Team to the scene.

An ambulance spokesman said: “One patient – a man – was in cardiac arrest and following treatment at the scene, his heart was restarted. He was taken to Ipswich Hospital in a critical condition.

“A second patient who was conscious and breathing was also taken to Ipswich Hospital.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter