Pair held on suspicion of girls' murder
TWO people were today arrested on suspicion of murdering missing schoolgirls Jessica Chapman and Holly Wells.School caretaker Ian Huntley, 28, and his girlfriend Maxine Carr, 25, were arrested early this morning.
TWO people were today arrested on suspicion of murdering missing schoolgirls Jessica Chapman and Holly Wells.
School caretaker Ian Huntley, 28, and his girlfriend Maxine Carr, 25, were arrested early this morning.
Ten-year-old best friends Holly and Jessica went missing 13 days ago from their homes in the Cambridgeshire village of Soham.
Huntley, caretaker at Soham Village College, reported talking to the girls on the night they
You may also want to watch:
vanished. He has been arrested on suspicion of abducting and murdering them.
Carr, a teaching assistant in the girls' class last term, was arrested on suspicion of murder.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 3 Developers offer first view of 75 new homes near Ipswich
- 4 Woman threatened to expose lorry driver's sexual relationship
- 5 Thieves use bank cards after stealing rucksack from Ipswich doorstep
- 6 Ipswich paedophile jailed for downloading indecent images of boys
- 7 Drink-driver reversed into car while banned from the road
- 8 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 9 'Teaching means the world' - school in Ipswich unveils new deputy head
- 10 Man who spat at neighbour in racist attack given community order
The news, which marks the first admission by the police that they believe Holly and Jessica are dead, was broken to the girls' parents early this morning before an announcement to the media.
Neither girl's body has been found.
Police were today searching the Village College and its grounds, the girls' primary school and Huntley's cottage.
They were also conducting a search at the home of Huntley's parents Kevin and Lynda, in the village of Littleport, 15 miles away.
Huntley and Carr were taken by police for questioning yesterday afternoon.
Detective Chief Inspector Andy Hebb said later that "items of major importance" to the inquiry had been found during a search of Soham Village College.
MORE ON THE LATEST GRIM DEVELOPMENTS IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR