Partnership with Ipswich Town Football Club moves Great East Run finish to Portman Road
- Credit: Archant
The Great East Run has announced a new partnership with Ipswich Town Football Club - which will see the finish line moved to the grounds of the famous Portman Road stadium
The first ever Simplyheath Great East Run will see thousands of runners take to the streets of Ipswich on Saturday September 24 around a 13.1 mile route.
Runners will start on Russell Road, next to Suffolk County Council’s Endeavour House, and head along Wherstead Road, passing under the Orwell Bridge.
They will then head back to the town centre, striding past football legends Sir Alf Ramsey and Sir Bobby Robson on their way to the finishing line on the ITFC practice pitch.
Carl Ashton, event manager, said: “Being able to use Ipswich Town Football Club is a great opportunity for Great Run to associate ourselves with such an important place in the town.
You may also want to watch:
“A lot of people support Ipswich Town in Suffolk so to be able to finish the run here is great.
“It is really important to create a course that shows of the very best bits of the town.
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 4 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 5 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 6 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 7 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
- 10 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
“The runners will go round the Willis Building, under the iconic Orwell Bridge and will finish here at Portman Road. It is perfect.”
The club’s practice pitch will also act as a gathering place before the event, with a marquee for runners to get changed, and will include a host of refreshments and activities as the runners cross the finishing line.
Rosie Richardson, director of sales at Ipswich Town FC, said: “As soon as I heard the Great Run Company were looking to bring it to Ipswich I thought I must get in touch with them - and the rest is history. I am delighted we have teamed up with the Great Run Company and that the club forms part of the route. “We’ve got around 15 people from the club taking part as well.
“A lot of them signed up for it as soon as it was announced.”
Councillor Tony Goldson, cabinet member for heath at Suffolk County Council added: “I’m delighted that Ipswich Town have come on board as a partner to support the Simplyheath Great East Run and finishing in the stadium grounds will add that little bit extra to the experience for participants.
“The event provides a fantastic opportunity for businesses across the county to get involved and use it to complement work place health and wellbeing programmes and initiatives.”