Pensioner's lucky escape after blaze
AN elderly lady from Capel St Mary was lucky to escape injury today after fire broke out in her garage and spread to electricity cables.
AN elderly woman was lucky to escape injury today after fire broke out in her garage and spread to electricity cables.
Only the frame of the pensioner's garage remained after the blaze which caused the roof and walls to collapse.
Everything inside also perished, including garden furniture and a washing machine.
The blaze took hold at around 3am near homes in Elm Lane, Capel St Mary and also set light to a neighbouring garage.
You may also want to watch:
The pensioner was in too much shock to speak today, but her daughter said: “A neighbour saw the flames and phoned the fire brigade then one of them went to my mother's house to get her. I came over this morning when I heard what happened.
“She has lived here for about 18 years. When you live somewhere for such a long time you lose track of all the things you keep in the garage, but everything has gone.”
- 1 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 2 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
- 3 Inside Ipswich's Blitz-themed tearoom
- 4 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 5 Two men arrested after police uncover cannabis farm
- 6 Kesgrave care home manager denies hosting party in breach of Covid rules
- 7 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 8 School with 'sky high' ambitions aims to be 'best in Ipswich'
- 9 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 10 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
An electricity cable on the side of the house also caught alight but fortunately the blaze was brought under control by firefighters before it spread.
The woman's electricity was still off this morning as a precaution. There was also some smoke damage inside the house.
The daughter added: “She is a very lucky lady. The fire service were absolutely brilliant and I know my mother would like to thank them.”
Firefighters said they had to demolish a wall of one of the garages, which had been weakened by the inferno, as a safety precaution. It is not known what caused the fire.