Memories of Ipswich Witches Legend John Louis Testamonial in 1979
- Credit: Archant
Pictures from Ipswich Witches Legend John Louis Testamonial at Foxhall Stadium for his service to the club
In 1979, Ipswich Witches legend John Louis was honoured with a testimonial as riders and fans alike saluted the rider at the event at Foxhall stadium.
Plenty of great pictures were captured on the day.
Louis made his debut in 1970 and by the following year topped the national Second Division averages, before Ipswich gained admission to the top flight in 1972. Louis spearheaded the Witches team, making his World Final debut at London’s Wembley Stadium in 1972, finishing in 5th place.
He went on to represent his country, achieving success in pairs and team events and also rode for Newport, West Ham, Oxford, Wembley, Halifax and King’s Lynn during his career.
He retired from riding in 1984 and is now the promoter of the Ipswich Witches alongside his son Chris Louis who was Great Britain International and rider for the Witches.
Did you attend the event over 30 years ago or can you spot yourself or someone you know in this picture gallery?
- 1 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 2 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
- 3 Revealed: All the places crimes were reported in Ipswich in April
- 4 Tributes paid to 'calm and caring' grassroots football stalwart 'Mr Exiles'
- 5 Popular Ipswich motorcycle show to return for 30th year
- 6 Swimming pool at primary school open again after two years
- 7 'They saved our boy's life' - Fundraiser for hospital that helped little Rocco
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 9 7 walks in Suffolk with a stunning view
- 10 Baby porpoise washes up at Suffolk beach
Share your memories with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org