Plea to town bosses over car parking
WOODBRIDGE'S bosses are being urged to let the public use its car park on Saturdays to ease the strain on car parking.Every Saturday the huge car park at Suffolk Coastal District Council's headquarters on Melton Hill lies empty while frustrated motorists shop in other towns because they can not find any spaces in public car parks.
WOODBRIDGE'S bosses are being urged to let the public use its car park on Saturdays to ease the strain on car parking.
Every Saturday the huge car park at Suffolk Coastal District Council's headquarters on Melton Hill lies empty while frustrated motorists shop in other towns because they can not find any spaces in public car parks.
The council did have a trial period of parking on Saturdays.
The Woodbridge Society warned that the town's economy was suffering due to the lack of parking and Tony Hubbard, society chairman, said: “There is a danger that unless something dramatic is done about this, Woodbridge as a retail and tourist centre will suffer severely.
Mr Hubbard said, in the Society's autumn newsletter, that an underground or a multi-storey car park could be required in Woodbridge.
Marion Wells, town centre manager, said: “Woodbridge Town Centre Management Ltd is continuing to discuss the use of SCDC Melton Hill car park with relevant parties in the council. We are optimistic that a long term solution will be found that addresses everyone's concerns.”
- 1 A14 closed in both directions near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 2 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 3 'He was a really good man' - Neighbour's shock following Ipswich house fire
- 4 Ipswich drug dealer sentenced to two years in jail
- 5 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 Former nightclub with flat conversion plan heads to auction
- 8 Mental health referral review after death of 'wonderful' 16-year-old boy
- 9 'I don't want families going through this' - Mum backs bridge campaign
- 10 New base for Ipswich bin collection, recycling and street cleaning teams
The Melton Hill car park will open every Saturday in December and for the Street Fair on December 2. The management group will pay for the opening and closing of the car park.
Suffolk Coastal says a permit scheme could be introduced to allow staff employed in town centre businesses to use the car park.