Pledge to keep Luke in public eye

MISSING teenager Luke Durbin's mother has today pledged to keep her son's disappearance in the public eye until she finds out what happened to him. Nicki Durbin, 37, told The Evening Star she is determined to find out what happened to her son and has vowed he will not become “last year's news”.

MISSING teenager Luke Durbin's mother has today pledged to keep her son's disappearance in the public eye until she finds out what happened to him.

Nicki Durbin, 37, told The Evening Star she is determined to find out what happened to her son and has vowed he will not become “last year's news”.

Luke, who would have celebrated his 20th birthday on December 4, vanished after a night out in Ipswich on May 12, 2006.

Miss Durbin said she is certain someone in the Ipswich area knows something and renewed her appeal to ask that person to contact police.

She said: “I don't believe Luke is in this area but I hope someone's conscience is pricked as I'm sure someone knows what happened to him. I beg that person to come forward.”

Miss Durbin, who has tirelessly campaigned to discover what happened to Luke, refuses to give up hope of seeing her son again.

Most Read

She said: “Until I know what's happened I have got to keep going. Whatever has happened I need to find out what happened to my son.

“Enquiries are still ongoing and I know the numbers of officers working on his case have been reduced since the killing of the girls. “I found this frustrating at first but I know there are not endless resources.”

Praising her family liaison officer, Miss Durbin, of Coronation Avenue, Hollesley, said she speaks to police twice a week about the case.

She added: “Christmas and New Year were obviously a very difficult time but we have survived. Friends and family have been fantastic.

“We toasted Luke as he remains in our hearts and minds even if he is not here physically.”

Keeping Luke's disappearance in the public eye is a challenge Miss Durbin knows she will face during 2007. She regularly updates a website devoted to solving the mystery of Luke's disappearance.

She said: “To be honest there is no new news and I am very conscious I need to do something to ensure Luke doesn't become last year's news. I don't want that to happen.”

WEBLINK

www.findluke.com

www.eveningstar.co.uk/lukedurbin

LUKE DURBIN, of Hollesley, has not been seen since the early hours of May 12.

He went missing after a night out in Ipswich with friends.

Police launched a massive search for the 19-year-old but are still no closer to uncovering what happened to him.

Anyone with information about Luke's whereabouts is asked to call Suffolk police on 01473 613500 or the National Missing Persons Hotline on 0500 700 700.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter