Pokemon Go causes 614% rise in power bank sales at Maplin in Ipswich – largest in UK
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich has had one of the biggest increases in the country for sales of power banks following the launch of Pokemon Go.
There was a 614% rise in the number of power banks – portable devices which charge up smartphones, tablets and other products – at the Ipswich branch of Maplin this week.
The next highest was in Middlesbrough, where there was a 493% rise.
Pokemon Go was released in the UK on Thursday last week. But with players battling against dwindling battery life, demand for external power banks has rocketed.
Andy Fairweather, category buyer at Maplin comments: “The week following the release of Pokémon GO was the biggest week of power banks sales since Maplin started selling them, even out-performing Christmas last year.
“Although we knew the game was being released and would be popular, we are amazed by how much the craze has swept the nation. In some areas we have nearly sold out of power banks and have had to ship an extra 2,000 just to keep up with demand.
“Our pocket-sized power banks have been most popular, allowing Pikachu, Pidgey and Squirtle-hunters to charge their devices as they play.”
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 3 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 4 Dog rescued from flat fire
- 5 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 6 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 7 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 8 'Vile violation of trust' - son hits out after carer stole £1,700 from mum
- 9 A14 closed overnight as lorry overturns in multi-vehicle pile up
- 10 Politicians make Ipswich a third division town