Man arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm after police pursuit in Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm following a police chase close to Ipswich Railway Station today.
Police were called at around 10.20am this morning, Thursday November 30, after receiving reports of a man in a silver Vauxhall Astra with a firearm in Hadleigh Road.
During a brief police chase, a BMW police vehicle struck the wall of a block of flats in Belstead Road.
A police spokesman said: “A short pursuit took place involving a police car before the vehicle was brought to a stop in the area of Willoughby Drive area.
“A second police vehicle was involved in a very minor collision with a wall in an adjacent road of Belstead Road.
“The driver was unhurt.
“The driver of the Astra, aged in his late 20s, decamped from the vehicle but was then detained after being tasered in the incident.
- 1 Man found dead as police and fire service called to Ipswich home
- 2 Train services in Suffolk cancelled after horses escape onto tracks
- 3 'Quietly confident' - Felixstowe Indian restaurant goes alcohol-free
- 4 Man turned up naked on woman's doorstep after Euros Final
- 5 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 6 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 7 How it all unfolded in first-ever Super Heat at Foxhall
- 8 Busy Ipswich road reopens after small sinkhole is repaired
- 9 Severe delays on A14 as lane blocked on Orwell Bridge
- 10 Drivers urged to remove valuables from cars after nine thefts in a week
“He was arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm with intent.
“Enquiries to locate the firearm continue.
“The suspect has been taken to Martlesham Heath PIC for questioning.”
Around eight police cars, a dog unit and at least ten police officers were seen in Willoughby Road and Belstead Road at the time of the incident.
Witnesses reported seeing officers chasing a suspect in police vehicles and on foot in the moments before the police car hit the wall
One witness said: “I was just going about my business and heard someone shout ‘stop, stop’.
“A police car stopped on the corner and a young lad came running around the corner too
“A policeman then got out of his car and started running after him but couldn’t catch him.
“Then another police car came down the road and pulled over trying to close him in.
“The boy then ran around the corner.
“I don’t even think Linford Christie could have caught him.”
A neighbour, who rushed outside when she heard the commotion, added: “I heard someone shouting and then the car crashed into the wall.
“Then the lad they were chasing jumped over a wall into a neighbour’s garden.”