Man arrested in Kesgrave still in police custody after gunshots fired at Cardinal Park, Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
A 22-year-old man arrested in Kesgrave after shots were fired at Cardinal Park in Ipswich in the early hours of Friday morning remains in custody this morning. Update: A man has been arrested. See here.
Police rushed to scene shortly after 3am on Friday after receiving reports that shots had been heard in the Grafton Way area of the town.
Several shell cases, believed to be from blanks, were recovered at the scene.
At around 2.30pm on Friday, officers arrested a 22-year-old man at an address in Kesgrave in connection with the incident. He was arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence.
He was taken to police custody to be interviewed by officers. This morning, police said the man is still in custody.
A grey Fiat Bravo was found parked outside the Harvester restaurant with its rear and side windows smashed, which is understood to be linked to the incident.
A 21-year-old man, arrested at the scene on suspicion of criminal damage, has been released under investigation.
- 1 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 2 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 3 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 4 Notcutts submit detailed plans for 14 homes on the edge of Ipswich
- 5 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 6 See inside stunning £1.15m home a stone's throw away from Christchurch Park
- 7 See inside £1.65m Ipswich home with swimming pool and games room
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Ukrainian family finally coming to Ipswich after eight-week visa struggle
- 10 Ipswich girl with cyst on brain struggling to get diagnosis
A police cordon was put in place around the row of restaurants at Cardinal Park until around 12.50pm on Friday to allow officers to examine the scene.
Yesterday, a force spokeswoman said: “It is not thought to have been live ammunition and no one was injured.
“It is thought one man fired the blanks and police are investigating exactly what happened, however at this stage it’s thought it may have been a dispute between several individuals.”
The incident meant several restaurants – Nandos, Ask Italian, Harvester, and Frankie & Benny’s – were unable to open until the cordon was lifted.
The cordon did not cover Chimichanga or Subway.
Detectives are appealing for any witnesses to come forward.
If you have any information that can assist police in their investigation call Suffolk police on 101, quoting crime number 48278/17.