Police enquiry after tunnel rumpus
POLICE are today investigating a fracas involving players and stewards after Ipswich Town's Sunday afternoon match with West Bromich Albion.A steward was left nursing an injury to his face after the scuffle in the tunnel leading from the pitch.
POLICE today said they would wait for an official complaint before launching a full investigation into a fracas after Ipswich Town's Sunday afternoon match with West Bromich Albion.
A steward was left nursing an injury to his face after the scuffle in the tunnel leading from the pitch. It is thought at least one player from each side was involved.
But a Suffolk Police spokeswoman said the man had not made an official complaint and the incident would not be investigated fully if the situation stayed the same.
The five-goal thriller sparked into life in the last few minutes. First Albion striker Lee Hughes was involved in an unpleasant incident with Town goalkeeper Kelvin Davis.
Then, with just seconds remaining, the midlands side snatched the game with a winner from Geoff Horsfield.
Tempers flared as the players left the field - at least one Town star appeared to react to an Albion player's comments and two stewards seemed to be slightly hurt in the ensuing scuffle.
- 1 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 2 ‘I thought I was going to die’ - Woman feels let down after spiking
- 3 'My life is hard enough' - Suffolk disabled dad struggles to repair home
- 4 More than 200 homes in Ipswich without electricity after power cut
- 5 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 6 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 7 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 8 Man acted as lookout while accomplice robbed Ipswich store
- 9 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 10 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
It appeared one steward was struck and another received a minor graze as a player was being restrained.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said: "The police force will obviously speak to people in the tunnel and speak to the stewards and the players and find out exactly what happened."
Terry Baxter, head of media and communication for Ipswich Town Football Club said: "We are aware that there was a disagreement between two players in the tunnel immediately following the match against West Bromwich Albion.
"This argument was controlled by the club stewards at that time. The police have subsequently been informed of the incident, we have nothing more to say at this time."
A spokesman for the FA said football's governing body was waiting for a full report from the game. He said a decision would be taken on whether action was required once the report had been studied.
n Suffolk police said the match had been by and large peaceful. Two West Brom supporters were ejected from the ground for disorderly behaviour.
Another West Brom supporter was arrested for being drunk inside the ground. One Ipswich Town fan was arrested for a public order offence.