Police name scooter river death crash victim
AN ELDERLY woman died last night after her mobility scooter plunged into a river. The pensioner, who has not been named, is thought to have been travelling along a path next to the River Brain in Witham when she lost control.
AN ELDERLY woman who died after her mobility scooter plunged into a river has today been named by police.
Rose Phillips is thought to have been travelling along a path next to the River Brain in Witham when she lost control.
Police were called to the scene and officers pulled the 69-year-old Witham pensioner out of the water and attempted to resuscitate her but she was declared dead at the scene.
A section of river walk, close to the junction with Guithavon Road, was closed for about four hours as forensic collision investigators carried out enquiries and the scooter was recovered.
A post-mortem of Mrs Phillips, of Larkspur Close will take place next week in order to establish the cause of death.
Police have also renewed their appeal for witnesses to Friday's incident.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 4 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 5 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 6 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food spots around Ipswich
- 7 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 8 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
- 9 Ipswich man found with indecent images of children is facing jail
- 10 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
Anyone who saw Mrs Phillips on her red disability scooter between 6pm and 7.30pm is urged to contact investigating officers at Dunmow road policing unit on 0300 333 4444.