Police probe into town centre robbery
DETECTIVES investigating a robbery at an Ipswich chemist were today still trying to piece together how exactly the robber entered the premises.The male offender, armed with a metal bar, walked into the first floor office area of the Superdrug store in Westgate Street at about 10.
DETECTIVES investigating a robbery at an Ipswich chemist were today still trying to piece together how exactly the robber entered the premises.
The male offender, armed with a metal bar, walked into the first floor office area of the Superdrug store in Westgate Street at about 10.30am yesterday.
He threatened a male member of staff and demanded money from the safe. The robber then fled with the cash carried in a bag.
It is still unknown to police which entrance the robber used to get into the building and make his way to the first floor of the store or which route he used when he fled the scene.
Officers are continuing to speak to members of staff and people in the area at the time to try and ascertain if he gained access via the front or back.
A police spokeswoman said: "It is still unclear which way the offender got in. We are viewing CCTV footage from the town to see if we can establish which route was used."
- 1 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 2 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 3 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 4 Gang jailed for 'horrific' torture attack on man in Ipswich home
- 5 Former BBC DJ to go live with new station
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 7 Delays likely on major Ipswich road as 12 days of roadworks planned
- 8 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 9 'Dedicated and devoted' - tributes paid to retired teacher Annick Smith
- 10 Suffolk headteacher criticises school rankings
The shop assistant involved in the drama was not injured but was left extremely shocked by the whole ordeal.
A spokeswoman for Superdrug said: "We can confirm that an armed robbery took place at our Ipswich store in Westgate Street at approximately 10.30am yesterday.
"A man forced his way in and proceeded to threaten a member of staff with a metal bar before taking a sum of money from the safe.
"Fortunately, no members of staff or customers were injured during the incident.
"Our thoughts are with the member of staff involved and they have been offered counselling to help them through this difficult time.
"This matter is now in the hands of the police and we are doing everything we can to help them with their inquiries.
The offender is described as black, about 5ft 8ins and of stocky build. He is aged in his late 20s or early 30s and wore dark clothing.
Anyone who was in the area at the time is asked to call Dc Derek Riley at Ipswich CID on 01473 383133 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.