Police put thugs in frame
SMILE for the camera!Late night trouble-makers in Felixstowe not only will be deterred by a police helicopter humming above them tracking their movements, but they will also be watched by a hand-held video camera.
SMILE for the camera!
Late night trouble-makers in Felixstowe not only will be deterred by a police helicopter humming above them tracking their movements, but they will also be watched by a hand-held video camera.
Police recently stepped up their fight against gangs of youths intimidating people in the town and are testing out ways to reduce the number of people spilling out of clubs in the early hours of the morning and causing problems.
They will be using the hand held digital camera used by the police in the past for surveillance operations, to combat the gangs which group around Undercliff Road West and the High Street.
You may also want to watch:
Pc Richard Durrant, Felixstowe community police officer, said that it appeared the helicopter was already working as a deterrent and hoped the hand-held camera would also help.
He said: "Friday was very quiet and on Saturday there was about 60 who went in to Undercliff Road West. There was about 600 people in the clubs on Sunday morning but I would say that the weekend was quiet – then some have been – it does depend on when they have been paid. They vary each weekend."
- 1 Car hits front of Ipswich convenience store
- 2 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 3 Look inside beautiful £1.2million home with a pool near Felixstowe
- 4 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
- 5 The 10 most Instagrammable spots in Ipswich - is your favourite on the list?
- 6 New home developments boost Ipswich's 'connected town' ambition
- 7 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 8 Family concerned after 15-year-old girl reported missing from Ipswich
- 9 See inside 5 of the most expensive dream homes in Ipswich
- 10 35 pictures from Ipswich Town's friendly clash with Palace
As well as being used as a deterrent, the camera will also be used to gather evidence if there were any problems such as fights or vandalism.