Police put thugs in frame
SMILE for the camera!Late night trouble-makers in Felixstowe not only will be deterred by a police helicopter humming above them tracking their movements, but they will also be watched by a hand-held video camera.
SMILE for the camera!
Late night trouble-makers in Felixstowe not only will be deterred by a police helicopter humming above them tracking their movements, but they will also be watched by a hand-held video camera.
Police recently stepped up their fight against gangs of youths intimidating people in the town and are testing out ways to reduce the number of people spilling out of clubs in the early hours of the morning and causing problems.
They will be using the hand held digital camera used by the police in the past for surveillance operations, to combat the gangs which group around Undercliff Road West and the High Street.
Pc Richard Durrant, Felixstowe community police officer, said that it appeared the helicopter was already working as a deterrent and hoped the hand-held camera would also help.
He said: "Friday was very quiet and on Saturday there was about 60 who went in to Undercliff Road West. There was about 600 people in the clubs on Sunday morning but I would say that the weekend was quiet – then some have been – it does depend on when they have been paid. They vary each weekend."
- 1 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 2 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 3 10 pictures of Ipswich pub's light switch-on
- 4 Ipswich Travelodge developer celebrates £7.4m bank backing
- 5 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 6 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 7 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 8 New gift card to encourage shoppers to use Ipswich town centre
- 9 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 10 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
As well as being used as a deterrent, the camera will also be used to gather evidence if there were any problems such as fights or vandalism.