Police set sail for charity
SIX Suffolk Police officers are set to become intrepid sailors for a charity fundraising event in aid of Crimestoppers.Sergeant Mitch Lock from Suffolk Constabulary's firearms training section has put together a team of officers who will compete in the Capgemini Sailing Challenge on September 27.
SIX Suffolk Police officers are set to become intrepid sailors for a charity fundraising event in aid of Crimestoppers.
Sergeant Mitch Lock from Suffolk Constabulary's firearms training section has put together a team of officers who will compete in the Capgemini Sailing Challenge on September 27.
With the help of a skipper, the crew will set off from Cowes and sail round the Isle of Wight.
Sgt Lock, based at the headquarters in Martlesham, said: “None of us are accomplished sailors and a few have only had experience with small dinghies. It's not going to be easy and it definitely won't be a case of setting up the sails and then sitting down with a gin and tonic!
“It'll take us about 12 hours and in that time we're going to have to battle against changing winds from different angles and we might have to deal with sea sickness too.”
The team, including Inspector Les King, Sgt Martin Memory, Detective Constable Samantha Jenkins, Station Clerk Elizabeth Game and Pc Dave Taylor, are all looking forward to the event.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 3 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 4 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 5 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 6 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 7 Festive shoppers brave the cold for Christmas street market in Ipswich
- 8 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 9 Care home worker may be jailed after using resident's bank card
- 10 Felixstowe Christmas light switch on outshines dreary weather
The six-strong crew will compete against 25 other police crewed boats from around the country and are hoping to contribute more than £5,000 to the organisers' £100,000 target.
If you wish to make a donation visit www.justgiving.com/capgeminisailingchallenge-suffolkpolice or contact Mitch Lock on 01473 613973.
Are you holding an interesting fundraising event with work colleagues? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail email@example.com